t: 0123456789 e: bcwadmin@braughing.org.uk

Pubs and Dining

Whether you are visiting friends in Braughing, out for a walk, cycling through or just want a nice pint, then there are three fine pubs to choose from. All are historic buildings, some dating back to the 1700s, with well-kept ales and good food. 

The Brown Bear 

This is Braughing’s oldest surviving pub. In fact it is one of the oldest buildings in the village, and a Grade II listed building. Having been run down over a period of years it is now in the capable hands of owner Chris Lynch and landlord Steve and chef Catherine. 
The Street, Braughing, Hertfordshire SG11 2QR
t: 01920 822157
For more information, please view the website here >>>

The Axe and Compasses

28 The Street, Braughing, Hertfordshire SG11 2QR
t: 01920 821610
For more information, please view the website here >>>

The Golden Fleece

The Golden Fleece dates back to the 17th century, having been known as The White Lion and The White Horse. In the 1840’s it was owned by William Henry Welch and known as The Golden Fleece. The name 'The Golden Fleece' is believed to be linked to the sheep farming and wool trade which was an important part of the local economy.

The pub was in constant use until the latter part of the 20th century when it was left derelict after a failed attempt to convert it to a residence.  Chef Jess and landlord Pete bought the building in February 2010 and re-opened it for business in July of the same year after extensive renovation.

20 Green End, Braughing, Hertfordshire SG11 2PG
t: 01920 823555
For more information, please view the website here >>>

If you are interested in Real Ale and want to know more then please check out the Campaign for Real Ale - CAMRA- website here >>>


Due to the economic climate and the decline of the rural community, may pubs and beer houses closed. In 1900 Braughing had 11 inns and beer houses but a raft were closed in 1908 and again in the 1920's and Parish boundaries have altered since then. Here are just a few:-

Green End
Bell Inn – (closed 1923) became a post office and store (closed 2020)
Bird in Hand (closed 1923)
The Street
Boars Head – Beer House (closed 1923)
Church End
Rose and Crown (closed 1908)
Hay Street
Adam and Eve (closed 1976)
Dassels
Black Bull